Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Inspiration.....comes at the strangest times.......

In my last post I mentioned needing inspiration in order to be creative. Today I was thinking about that again and how inspiration comes at the strangest times. One example of this comes to mind while I was going through a box of my stuff from high school.

In my English class we had to write a poem and if it was published in the local paper, then we received extra credit. A couple days later I was laying in bed and around 1:00am all these ideas just hit me - I couldn't write fast enough! By no means am I a poet, nor would I ever be able to write another one. My poem did get published and I did get extra credit , but I think the feeling after finishing it was so much better.

Anyways, here is my poem. Like I said, I was in high school, and by no means a poet - so be easy on me!!

I Am

Last night I dreamt that I was as free as an eagle,
Soaring high above the land, where I had no cares.
I would fly away from my life, my problems;
Leaving it all behind without a second thought.

Last night I dreamt that I was as fast as a cheetah.
Stretching my long, lean legs out, nothing could catch me.
I would run like the wind, racing against all expectations.
I could outrun my greatest fears, reaching tranquility.

Last night I dreamt that I was as mighty as an elephant,
Trampling over all my failures, crushing them into nothing,
Leaving them all behind me.

But when I awoke this morning, I was me.
Not as free as an eagle,
As fast as a cheetah,
Nor as mighty as an elephant.
No matter what,
I cannot escape my life,
My problems and my expectations,
Nor my fears and failures.

Although, I can spread my wings,
Soaring to new heights,
Running toward my fears,
And crushing my failures,
Leaving them all behind me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful poem!

    Tag, you're it...here are the rules:

    * Link to the person who tagged you
    * Post the Rules in your Blog
    * Write 7 Random things about yourself
    * Tag 7 people at the end of your post and link to them
    * Let each Person know they've been tagged

    ReplyDelete